Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

noisy shuttle drives

RobertW

are all shuttle drives noisy in reverse and if so what kind of noise are they suppose to make. Thanks

I don't know about ALL shuttle drives, but I have a 3416S that when in reverse has somewhat of a high pitched whine. The machine works perfectly despite this noise. I had a brand new planetary gear assembly that I put in it for the heck of it and that didn't make any difference. Hope this is of some value. Brian

My dad is good friends with a Retired Simplicity Dealer He says they were noisy New.... I have a 3410S it's noisy and still works good .....

My 7013S was always chirpy in reverse. Sometimes when it got out of adjustment and wouldn't back up it got REAL NOISY.....wait that was me screaming at it !!!!! ken

Hmmm - My AC712S is the same in forward and reverse. Quite. Maybe there is a difference;)between the Allis Chalmers and the Simplicity shuttles?? Dan

quote:
Originally posted by Les
It is the same sound a pig makes while it is being casterated.
Les, I always have hated that sound...[:0];):D

My 1978 Baron 7014S makes that same noise - only in reverse. Repacking the planetary seemed to quiet it just a little bit, and I too was told by a dealer that this is a "normal" condition.