Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

More on Wheely Weights

Les

I have to agree with dlc on this one, I was warned about breaking axle tubes using wheel weights, but I didn't listen and used them year round until low and behold I exploded the one on my B-110 big time and that was while running with the diff. open. p.s. I havn't noticed much differance in the tractors performance without the weights with chains.

Tim, On my B-1 with skinny rear tires I had them liquid filled (calcium chloride solution) to make it up/down the hilly lawns in East Tennessee for mowing. The B-1 and Sovereign, with wider rear tires, do just fine without the liquid fill. In the winter I put chains on the B-1 liquid filled tires and do just fine plowing snow. Liquid fill is a neat trick to gain traction without weights or chains. Any place that does farm tractor tires can do the liquid fill (coop's, Goodyear & Firestone stores for example). Plus, liquid fill is cheap compared to weights and chains. Roy

John, You must have a nice flat lot if you don't notice much differance without weights or chains. I use weights when mowing to keep the wheels from spinning and scalping the lawn when I make uphill turns on my front lawn. In the winter I have to change to bar tires with chains to get up and down my very steep driveway when blowing snow. If I ever do break an axle, if the replacement lasts as long as the original, I can't complain. Tim

Roy, On the farm we found that tires with air and weights had more traction than tires with liquid. Reason being that liquid filled tires are harder and will not flaten the tread out under load as well as air filled tires. We found this out on a John Deere G that had liquid filled tires but one of them leaked the liquid out. We had to refill it with air so we hung some weights on it to compensate for the lack of liquid. When using the tractor the liquid filled wheel would always spin and the air filled wheel would maintain traction. We drained the liquid on that wheel and put air in both and found that the old G had better traction. So weights might cost more but I don't like liquid in tires. Tim

Hi to all, I agree with Tim on this one. At least from my experiences, without wheel weights I can't do a darn thing without spinning the tractors tires whether mowing or plowng because of the hills I have to tranverse. Like Tim said I had the same experience on the farm and we ended up using both filled tires and weights even on are 4 wheel drive Oliver to get by. I feel even after breaking 2 axles tubes on 2 separate tractors that using the wheel weights more then not helped the tubes break. But if my tractor won't do what its designed to do then its of no use to me in terms of chores around our area. My 64 landlord went approx. 29 years before the tube had to be replaced and I know this to be fact from the original owner to be true. Either use them in a parade and enjoy them that way or use them for work to which they were designed to do "within reason" the choice is ours to make. But what works for one dosen't mean it works for all-just my opinion and Thanks to all>>->happyjack<-<<