Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
aokpops

How doe,s this work ?

aokpops
if you have a old engine thats has not run for a year or two . an try to start it won,t start . if you take the spark plug wire off leave it about an 1/8 inch away from the plug an it starts right up I have done this a lot an it works for for me . I can,t figure out whats going on .

tractormike
I might be wrong on this but I'll give it a try. By holding the wire away from the plug the voltage in the wire has to build up more than if it was attached to the plug directly, and you get a hotter spark. With the hotter spark a spark plug in marginal condition will fire better. JC Whitney used to sell little spark plug extensions that you put in between the plug and the wire which created a gap and that was their sales pitch as to how it worked.

djarvis949
Way back when, I remember throwing those 'Spark Intensifiers' away when doing Tune Ups. Anyway, yesterday I bought a new plug for my push mower and noticed that it has a built in 'BOOSTER GAP' to deliver maximum firing voltage.

patrician12
You have found the secret to starting a flooded points and condenser automobile.This is an old mechanics trick,We call it intensify the spark.If we get a car in with a misfire from flooding we hold the coil wire away from the coil and the extra high voltage will clear a fouled spark plug in a minute or two at a high idle.