Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

How doe,s this work ?

aokpops

if you have a old engine thats has not run for a year or two . an try to start it won,t start . if you take the spark plug wire off leave it about an 1/8 inch away from the plug an it starts right up I have done this a lot an it works for for me . I can,t figure out whats going on .

I might be wrong on this but I'll give it a try. By holding the wire away from the plug the voltage in the wire has to build up more than if it was attached to the plug directly, and you get a hotter spark. With the hotter spark a spark plug in marginal condition will fire better. JC Whitney used to sell little spark plug extensions that you put in between the plug and the wire which created a gap and that was their sales pitch as to how it worked.

Way back when, I remember throwing those 'Spark Intensifiers' away when doing Tune Ups. Anyway, yesterday I bought a new plug for my push mower and noticed that it has a built in 'BOOSTER GAP' to deliver maximum firing voltage.

You have found the secret to starting a flooded points and condenser automobile.This is an old mechanics trick,We call it intensify the spark.If we get a car in with a misfire from flooding we hold the coil wire away from the coil and the extra high voltage will clear a fouled spark plug in a minute or two at a high idle.