Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

23x10.5x12 Tire?

Les

Thanks dlc. I was checking the price list for the 3012, and they wern't listed. But if they were available for the 3112, that must be what I found. Cool. Well, I'll paint up the rims, then see which ones look better! Wider is usually better. Greg

Greg, If it had the wide rears, did it also have the wider 16 x 6.50 x 8 front tires, instead of the smaller 4.80 X 8 tires? I think the 10.50s were fairly common on the 12HP models. I also think these wider floatation tires started becoming standard equipment on the higher-HP Sovereigns, while the smaller ones were used on the Landlords and Broadmoors.... But, it's hard to tell since the available specs often don't include tire size. BTW, the 10.50s seem to be more commonly stocked, in more tread patterns, and perhaps even less expensive since they fit more other brands of tractors.... On the subject of Varidrive belts, I've found two lengths listed in the Simplicity Belt Reference, 53.1" and 54.0" -- both with the same part number of 164080. I'm now confused, but it DOES appear that there were at least two sizes used. Perhaps Al, Jeff or another dealer can clarify this.... Kent

I recently came across a set of rear tires/rims from a 3112. I took them as spares for my B112, but after noticing first that the tread pattern was a bit different, I then noticed that the tread width was a full two inches wider! The B112 uses 23x8.50x12, and apparently, this 3112 used 23x10.50x12. That's at least 25% more traction. The inside of one of the 3112 rims was grey, while the outside of both rims was white (well, rusty white). After checking all the dark corners of the club, I have found no evidence that the 23x10.5x12 tires were ever used or offered as options for the 3112 or B112. Does anyone else know anything about this? Maybe as part of the duel wheel set up? Is there any reason I should NOT use a 10.5" wide tire, such as additional strain on the axle tubes? AND...my B112 finally ran for the first time this weekend...Yoohoo! Of course, the paint is still drying on the rims so I couldn't actually drive it anywhere, but the new/used engine I found ran great with no smoke. I didn't notice any obvious problem with the vari-drive belt system, but that was without any load on the transmission (for anyone who followed that discussion last week). Greg

Yes,the 23X10.5X12's were an option on the 3112.They were called 'floatation tires' because of the extra width,which was designed for soft/muddy ground[hence the term'flotation'.]Those wheels that the tires were on were flat type hubs,which most probably were for a dual set-up.I sold the trac. to Rich P. and he just finished restoring it.[it's in the gallery!]Can you imagine one of these things with dual 10.5'S on? You could use it for a boat!And I don't believe a single set of 10.5'S would hurt your axle tube.[don't know about doubles though!] dlc

My 3212 has the 23x10.50xtires and yet it also has the 16x6.50 front tires of matching tread. But what I find interesting is my T-12 Homelite which is basically the same as the Sim. 3415 also has the same tires as my 3212 but on the Homeylite the wheels on the front are 1" wider and the rear one's 1-1/4 wider then my 3212. But I have found on my 64 landlord with the 8.50 rears that it gets better traction for all around use. But the 10.50's ride so much better then the narrower tires and give it a much wider stance and it is more stable on hills ect.. Cheers>>->happyjack<-<<

Kent, I didn't get the spare front tires, as they were being used for a trailer. However, I do have the larger tires on the B112. I didn't realize there were two sizes available for the front as well. I do remember thinking that it was odd that the front tire tread pattern matched the 10.5" tires, but not the 8.5" tires. Now I guess I know why. Geez, I learn something new every day here. Greg

Happyjack, Sounds like I'll be switching back and forth between the two. I too like the wider stance for all the same reasons. I assumed it would get better traction too, but maybe that's not true for tilling or other gardening. But the 10.5" must be better for the mowing and general yard work, and a better ride. I'm glad I have them both. I just need to buy two more tubes, and then paint up the rims with my 1/2 can of left over Ace Cream paint. I almost had my wheels on last night, but a new tube I was installing had a straight filler tube instead of the wider tapered one. I really wanted to finish the tire mounts and take this puppy for a ride, but I held back, and now I'm on a quest for the right tube. Well three of them. Greg