Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Belt breakage

tigara

Hi, I have a 1973 Sovereign 3416H.... I'm having big problems with the power belt to the 42" mower deck... I use Kevlar 1/2" X 74" belts and they are breaking in no time....The pullies look to be in proper alingment and free turning... I do notice that when I engage the power to the deck and look at the belt it is really floping around... Has anyone on the forum had this type of problem and can you suggest a cure... These belts are $22.00 each and I'd like to get more than a couple hours use from them... Thanks, Sam

Hope this helps. My Simp 7119 started eating belts to the tune of one every two hours. Drove me nuts. Finally what I did was take a 9/16" wrench and tighten the bolt holding on the lower idler pulley, the belt lasted two seasons, then I quit mowing with that tractor. Good Luck Also, please note that I am not trying to be a smart ass, but I have seen AC/Simplicities mow with the belt tightening lever not pulled back, if fact my first tractor was that way, whoever had it merely tighted the bolt and left the lever hanging, it mowed but could be the cause of the belt flopping.

Not sure if it'll make it run smoother, but some belts just aren't designed for use with idlers running on the back of them either. Simplicity uses a belt with extra heavy backing that will stand up to idler use, whereas common auto grade belts will die quickly.

I had a problem with that also. The bearing in the idler pulley was bad. Changed the bearing and it has been mowing fine ever since.

A non Simplicity belt will break 99.9% 0f the time with in a couple hours. They are not designed to run at odd angles and on the back side of the belt on idler pulleys. Simplicity belts are. Simplicity belts are more expensive but cheaper in the long run. If your pulleys are running true to design and are free of burrs and nicks and the pulley bearings are in good shape a Simplicity belt will last a very long time. A belt is a belt is not a Simplicity Belt. The best Aftermarket belt is not half as good as a Simplicity Belt.

quote:
Originally posted by tigara
I use Kevlar 1/2" X 74" belts and they are breaking in no time.... These belts are $22.00 each and I'd like to get more than a couple hours use from them... Thanks, Sam
quote:
Originally posted by UCD
Simplicity belts are more expensive but cheaper in the long run.
In this case, the Simplicity belt may be cheaper in the short run too. The #176439 OEM belt list price is $17.62.

i completely agree with dutch, before i became a member i had similar problems with my 3112h the napa belts i used would last mabee 3 cuts than poof. I was sure everything was mechanically ok but had no idea that their best gates belt could be the root cause of the problem, it was ! no fault of the belt it was not designed to run under such conditions. If you are not near an ac/simp dealer try jacks sm engine he usually has a good invintory and shipps out pretty quick. good luck john