Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mil.-Spec. Engine conversion

DavidG

This is a project that I've had on the back burner for a long time, and Smilin'Sams Honda conversion got me to thinkin' about it seriously again. Currently on the market there are a number of Gov.surplus engines for sale. ( E-bay has them sometimes, also www.saturnsurplus.com). There is a 32 cu in. and an 84 cu.in. Both of these are horizontally opposed 4 cylinder 4 cycle engines. There is also a 42 cu.in. 2 cylinder horizontally opposed 4 cycle. Parts are relatively easy to get,they are very compact, and are supposed to be very well made. I've heard "rumors" of them being put in garden tractors, but I have never seen one or spoken with anyone who has done it. I have an old tube frame Bolens and am getting an older Cub cadet frame and was thinking of doing this to one of them. Has anyone out there done one of these conversions? I would like to hear some thoughts / ideas or opinions on this.... C'mon, this isn't too crazy is it? I've built stranger things than this . Dave

There is a military spec Onan CCKB, I checked into one once from the Surplus Center in Lincoln Nebraska. The crankshaft size is different from the Onans Simplicity used. In fact, I have heard that Simplicity made military spec Powermax tractors! Anybody have a line on how to buy govt. surplus?

I've built two with motorcycle engines for tractor pulling. It's not too difficult. Takes some time and lots of head scratching, but was lots of fun.

It is fun to do engine swaps but it take allot of time and money. I have allot more in my 920 than I thought I was gona have.