Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
DavidG

Mil.-Spec. Engine conversion

DavidG
This is a project that I've had on the back burner for a long time, and Smilin'Sams Honda conversion got me to thinkin' about it seriously again. Currently on the market there are a number of Gov.surplus engines for sale. ( E-bay has them sometimes, also www.saturnsurplus.com). There is a 32 cu in. and an 84 cu.in. Both of these are horizontally opposed 4 cylinder 4 cycle engines. There is also a 42 cu.in. 2 cylinder horizontally opposed 4 cycle. Parts are relatively easy to get,they are very compact, and are supposed to be very well made. I've heard "rumors" of them being put in garden tractors, but I have never seen one or spoken with anyone who has done it. I have an old tube frame Bolens and am getting an older Cub cadet frame and was thinking of doing this to one of them. Has anyone out there done one of these conversions? I would like to hear some thoughts / ideas or opinions on this.... C'mon, this isn't too crazy is it? I've built stranger things than this . Dave

Les
There is a military spec Onan CCKB, I checked into one once from the Surplus Center in Lincoln Nebraska. The crankshaft size is different from the Onans Simplicity used. In fact, I have heard that Simplicity made military spec Powermax tractors! Anybody have a line on how to buy govt. surplus?