Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What's better Shuttle or Varible Speed?

KSever

After picking up another tractor over the weekend to help in the rebuild of my AC 314 I am contemplating which rearend to use. I now have a AC 416 for parts which has a Shuttle drive in it. The 314 has a Varible Speed. Which one would you use? Both rearends seem to be in good shape. Kris

ssshhh the wife might happen to look in the garage! I have a car in the garage is all I can say.;)

I think the shuttle has 4 speeds no reverse and the variable has 3 speeds one reverse.

Let me refraise that. Which one would you like better to use? A Shuttle drive or a Variable drive?

The shuttle has 4speeds forward and 4 in reverse while the variable has 21 speeds forward and 7 speeds reverse.They both have there adjusting quirks.I have 1 of each and think that the variable is just a notch above the shuttle.One thing to consider is the $50 variable drive belt just in case it needs replaced some time.

quote:
Originally posted by KSever
Let me refraise that. Which one would you like better to use? A Shuttle drive or a Variable drive?
Both are unique and I can't tell you as I have to gear grinders and two hydros. There are people out there who have them and they an give a better answer.

I like my variable speed on the 312. It lets you slow down or speed up while you're on the move. A nice feature when you encounter a patch of tall grass or when backing up while snow plowing. I also have a 6 speed and a 3 speed tractor. I often wish they had more of a speed control range. The 312 was 30 years old when I changed the belt. The change wasn't due to breakage, just thought I ought to do it. Now I have a spare belt! :) Steve

Well I have 1 variable and 1 shuttle... The Variable is good if you want to change speeds on the go like stated above... I like my Shuttle for using things like my Bunky Bucket (My home version of the Johnny Bucket) or filling in holes with my snowblade, you just pull up fill the bucket pull back on the shuttle and then back forward and away you go... No constant shifting... I probably like my Shuttle better then then my variable...

mowerman1193
Kris,You should make something that no one else has.Make a varible/shuttle .[:0]:DThen you could have the best of both.:D

A hydro does everything that both of those will do. To answer your question, I think it will depend on the work you are doing with the tractor and the terrain in which you are working. If you are constantly going back and forth with a blade such as plowing snow from a driveway, a shuttle will probably do better. Same if you are mowing a small lawn like mine where you have to mow around trees and flower gardens. For wide open lawns, I would like the vari-drive better. You can easily speed up when the grass is thin, then slow down just the right amount for thicker grass, and will get finished much quicker.