Jump to content

Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

  • Announcements

    • Kent

      Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

      If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

      Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

      See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
HubbardRA

Fried Mid PTO!

Recommended Posts

HubbardRA
Bearing siezed up on the mid PTO (mower drive) on my AC 716H. I finally got it off, nut siezed up ruining threads on end of shaft and ruining the nut. Got this thread problem nearly corrected. I have the part number for the bearing and will order one. I would like to know a lining material and adhesive that can be used to reline the cone clutch. When I pulled the unit apart, I found a worn out lining also. I had been having some slippage problems. I think in a previous topic, Dutch said he used leather lining on one of his. I would try leather, if I knew of a good high temperature adhesive. Please let me know what the rest of you have done to reline the cone clutch. I'm putting the 716H back to work by pulling parts off my 712S project tractor. Grass is growing too fast to wait for new parts. I'll put the new or rebuilt unit on the 712S. I don't like using a push mower with two running tractors and two more in construction. Main one died before finishing the back-up. That's my luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dutch
Rod, My clutch went out while I was trying to finish blowing snow. So, I made the emergency repair with what I had available. I used a strip of leather from an old belt, and used Formica contact cement (the same kind used for countertops). I only hoped the repair would last a few hours. Surprise..... It has lasted ever since. I now have a brand new clutch sitting on the shelf, but I'm still using the leather.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
thedaddycat
There is a product called Carboline F-1, a contact cement used to repair conveyor belts and such. The tube says it bonds rubber, leather and plastic to metal, etc.... I used it to put the foot pads back onto the bracket on the 2012 and for several other things. You may want to give it a try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HubbardRA
Thanks guys! I wasn't even thinking of contact cement. I was thinking of something like J-B Weld or some of the other epoxies or heavy glues. I may try the Dutch approach, because I think I have formica glue in the garage. If not, I may try to find the glue that Kirk recommended. I am leaning toward leather as the lining. The other two ideas were pieces from a serpentine automotive belt, and oak strips from a basket. I've seen rubber, leather, and oak all used as friction pads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HubbardRA
I found the cause of the problem this evening. I installed the parts from the 712 onto the 716, fired it up, and smoke came off the shaft again. Shut it down, released the belt, and found the mower wouldn't turn. A bicycle handbrake cable had been left in the grass and was wrapped around two blades preventing the mower from turning. Because of this, the load on the belt made the clutch slip and put a tremendous load on the bearing insert sleeve. I hope I got it shut down before it messed up the second one. It was getting dark when I finished removing the wire from the blades and my battery was too weak to start the engine, so I'll try to check it out tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×