Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

PowerMax 954

docs

I've seen lots of powermax on this site and yes they are a very good tractor, depending on what you want to use one for. -Chris

The Powermax is an awesome tractor. I am getting my second one this weekend. There is tons of information on this tractor on this site. Hit "Discussions" then "Search the forums" then type in 9020 or 4041 or 620 or 720 or powermax. I like looking through the archived posts. There are also a lot of people on this site who really know thier onions, when it comes to these machines. I have never heard of a Powermax 954 though. Good luck. Ken

You can find quite a bit of info if you'll spend some time looking around on Simple trACtors. The previous model was the 4040/4041 with the 16.5 HP Onan. There's a brochure on it. There's also info on the later Allis 720, plus a cross-reference, a listing of all attachments that fit it, etc. By the way, the MFR NO 990954 PowrMax cross-references specifically to the Allis 620. Here's info on it: http://www.simpletractors.com/models/600_series/ac_620.htm What specific info are you looking for that you can't find?

The truth is we have been trying for years to keep the Powermax and his big brother the AC 720 a well kept secret. But alas, Kent has provided superior information on the models on this site and my fellow Powermax affectionados have peppered the forums with praises of the machines. But there is hope. Not everyone is on the internet and the internet is 'just a fad' anyway as another member said. So there is hope that this flood of information will subside. HA.

Great tractors as far as I'm concerned! I have a AC 720 & Power Max 9020. The 720 has a loader on it and I can tell it has lead a tough life as a loader tractor. The 9020 has been a mower tractor and it is a dream machine! I didn't know they existed till I found this site. Now if the advertiseing items caps,shirts and so on can have the 720 & 9020 pictures and logos I'd be realy smiling. I purchased both tractors this spring from a club member. I maybe should have waited on the 720 & loader but couldn't wait to get one sitting in my yard! Used it a lot in such a short time. My $1.02 worth!

I guess I should have asked "Is The 954 Powermax A Good Tractor" I'm trying to buy A Simplicity 9020 or AC 720 With Tiller Mower and Blade or Blower. I am convinced that they are good tractors. Just have to find one that someone wants to sell just get rid of it. I believe that if i look hard enough that I may find one at a steal. But there is this Powermax 954 with loader, Tiller, 60" Deck, And Blade, that I have my eye on and was trying to find information on the 954 and couldn't find one on the site. Is this a rear bird? I'm going to look at kents information and see what I can find. Thanks for all the Information. Anyone else have one of these tractors? Thanks Doc

And another question about the Simplicity -vs- AC, Do the AC 616, 620, 720 have the full length rollers and or free floating deck like the simplicity. Thanks Doc

Doc, Those Allis tractors have the identical deck as the Simplicity. The ONLY Allis lawn and garden tractors that were truly unique were some made in Lexington SC plant -- 300 & 400 series, plus some parts (transmission) on the B-206/207/208 models.

Thanks Kent, That will relieve one of my worries about which one to buy when I find a good deal on one. Where doe's everyone find these fixeruppers at? None around my aera here in Richland Co. Ohio.

This is the reply I received from the owner of the tractor on ebay. mfg. # is 990954 and description is pow'r max 4041. engine is cckbms2440h. all atachments work. have loader and tiller on now. had snow blower on in winter, worked good. mower was great ebay item #2414160525 Well good luck if you are bidding on it.

Yea Thanks Wayne, I guess I should have contacted him myself, He misslisted it. That would make a person mad get all the way out there to find out it wasn't what he purchased. Go Figure, So he didn't really know what he had or he is blowing smoke up our yazoo. That is not even the original motor that came with that tractor is it? I'm learning, still do not know all the models but have looked at a lot of them here and been scouting around for them. I know that I looking hard at the 9020 and 720. Doc

Docs Be patient and a good one will come along! Don't hurry up like I did. My 720 needs some TLC. I should have inspected it closer instead of just buy it because I wanted it. The 9020 is nice with low hrs and a bargain for as good of shape it is in. email the guy and see what he wants for it? He sent me his phone number. Good luck and inspect what ever you purchase.

• 3 weeks later...
My learning has led me to believe that the power max was the best in the small tractors. But I have not seen one out here in Oregon. and have many requests for it thru auctioneers. I expect i will not find one and these toys i have will maybe help someone out who need a few parts. Near new seems much less stressful on getting avaiable attachments. and the resale value will be pretty good for a longer period. Do any of you have an opinion on the Agco St compacts? I want to do landscapeing in my own lot and be prepared to be on call for others. I live on a Hywy and i get thousands of vehicles going buy every day. A good tractor made in the USA that may end up on this site as a good-un, is my preference.

Yes there is quite a bit of information on this site about the powermax and Allis Tractors.. I sure would like one But a little more money then I want to spend... LOL