Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

powermax front electric pto question - pics

schaefer72

hi - in process of moving my front electric pto from my onan to my new honda a question came up - when i took it apart there was a inner layer of some material that was covering the wires - it almost looks like a cork gasket but seems to be made of some type of metal dust ? it also appears to be covered by alot of oil and grease that has built up over the last 30 yrs - i was wondering if this layer could be just a large build up of oil and metal dust that has worn off the pto and been compressed over the years but that just dosent seem right - it looks like it is supposed to be there - anyway it is falling apart on both of the pto units i own - is this stuff required if so whats it for ? should i attempt to replace it ? - should i just remove the rest of what little is left ? - what are your thoughts and what have others done ? - thanks [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2//attach/schaefer72/honda%20pics%20024.jpg[/img]

Good question! Nice photos - it looks like a coating of something is coming off (as opposed to build up over time). I will get out my shop mirror tonight and see if mine has any of those characteristics. Steve

That's the 'epoxy' (that's what we used to use...) coating to keep contaminents from shorting the coil or wear. The problem is for most epoxies, they break down with heat (gets pretty hot there!). The next thing after that is for it to start shorting out. (Ratz!) JP PS You may contact a 'coil rewinder' & ask what a good epoxy to use in this application. The technology used is 30 years old, they might have something 'more better' out now. Let us know what you find......... PPS Iwouldn't mess with it or try to remove it (unles it's dirt!).

Clean it well with a electric contack cleaner ans then fill in the voids with 5 min epoxy. That is what I did 5 years ago and have had no problem. One thing is for sure, if you don't do something you will have those windings short out.

Jason Go to a NAPA store and get an epoxy gas tank repair kit. Mix it up pour it on and smooth it out. It will level it self while it dries. It will adhere to the metal well and will with stand gas and oil.