Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Bevel Gear Box-Simplicity's Achilles Heal?

jdschool

Since my AC710 blew the BGB I've been asking a lot of questions, both here on the club site and from local dealers. The local dealers tell me that the "weak link" on the large frame Simplicity garden tractors is the BGB. Is this truly the case or is this just the opinion of the guy who is trying to get $700. out of me to repair the BGB? How have the BGB's on your tractors held up and are they a constant problem, or just a once in a blue moon occurance?:(

Well most of them have lasted 30 years or more so they can't be that bad. You should be able to fix it your self for alot less than $700

If the BGB was or is the Achilles heel, how come that design lasted for better then 30 years? Better check that guy's pipe and see what's he's smoking. I also agree with Maynard.

I think that price is very high.I am sure that you can buy a used one for a lot less after all how much are 2 gears a couple of seals and some bearings. Look around first.Bob

A whole parts tractor would be way less than that! Big timers like Smilin'Sam or DCL, etc..., could probably help you out from their inventories. From what I've read, and the two tractors I have (700 W.B. and 2110) I'd say the 7 keys in the rear axle/exploding axle casting are a more sinister weeklink.

Hi Bob, the cost of a new bvb is around 500.00 With installation, maybe 700. This is a far stretch on my part. There is no reason you will need a complete new gearbox if the housing is in good shape. There are still many used bvb's out there. If you want to do it yourself. You can save a lot of money! If your case is in good shape, I would rebuild it. If you have problems doing it? Just ask a question here. Everyone is very helpfull. If you have questions, or need help, call us too! Note: The week link as reported by some simplicity owners or dealers is usually caused by neglect. If you keep the oil full, and change it once a year, the gearbox will last 30 years as Maynard said. Take Care Neal

30 or more the one in my simplicity 700 is over 40 and i dont think its ever been apart..................jim

The one in my 64 Landlord is getting a lttlr loose, I'll probably tear it down and put new bearings and seals in it this summer, (before I ruin the imput shaft and the gears....) Not to bad for a 39 year old tractor now is it?;):)

I don't doubt the dealer wants high $ to do the work. It takes about 2 hours just to get the old one out and then you have to pray you remember how to put it all back together. It is an all day job for sure including rebuild. Brent

The one in my 61 Wards is still working fine and it spent many years in tractor pulling. Anything will wear out eventually, especially if neglected or abused. Check with Jeff Fazekas (not sure about spelling of his last name), I bought a throttle from him, since he is parting out am AC710. He may still have the BGB. He is a member.

When my BGB self-destructed (caused -- I think -- by broken mounting bolt & another worked loose) I paid $125 for a used one off a late model Sovereign in excellent condition, and installed it myself. It's about a half-day job to remove and replace one, if you're just swapping them out.

My first BGB rebuild (B series with enclosed tunnel) took 6+ working hours (I took it apart before buying parts). My second and latest BGB on a 712H with the open on the bottom tunnel took 3 hours.

The question is valid, is it the weaks spot......just like cars some get bad trannys and some dont. I asked the same question over a year ago... Find a good used one as Kent and Peter says, theres a ton of these ol girls around in tractor junkyards and so on. I turned down a landlord with a good bgb last fall for 100 bucks..While going through my records, I found that the previous owner of my 7016 had some seals replaced on the bgb on my tractor......keep looking, and good luck to you. Dougm

I might have a good bevel gear box from an AC in my barn. I would be willing to sell it- if i can find it & you are interested.

My biggest concern is not necessarily with the BGB itself -- but that the cast BGB housing is an integral part of the tractor's frame, where the front frame and the rear frame rails are essentially held together with four Grade 5 bolts in a "butt joint." You don't have to do too much carpentry to figure out that butt joints with nails through the end holding them are very weak in comparison to other joinery methods. If they'd bolted the BGB in from the sides of the front frame instead of that small crossmember, it would be much stronger, and much less susceptible to stress. If one or more of those bolts works loose... look out, if you don't catch it soon. Not to say that any time that you have to change the direction of power by 90 degrees, it is a potential problem. But, the ring and pinion in a rear-wheel drive car does that pretty reliably...

Kent's last post about the bolt working loose is exactly what happened to my '70 3212H a few years ago. It had a strange feel to it when out mowing & i couldn't put my finger on it for a while, then I found one or two loose bolts. I was able to tighten it back up, removing the bolts one at a time & adding a little locktight to the threads.
  • Like 1