Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler Command in a Sovereign?

DanBov

Will a Kohler command bolt into a sovereign 7100 series without much modification? If bolt pattern or size is different at the flywheel how would you adjust for this?

If the flywheel pattern is different, then you will need to make an adapter plate. Lay out the plate for the flywheel holes, then position the two driveshaft holes between the flywheel holes so that the bolts don't interfere. Insert two bolts (for driveshaft bolt-up)through the plate from flywheel side before bolting plate to flywheel. Once the plate is bolted to the flywheel, you can use a thin wrench to hold the head of the driveshaft bolts to tighten, after the spacers and washers are installed. I used this technique to put a Kohler from a Cub Cadet on my 61 Wards a few years ago. Cub Cadet uses four 1/4 inch bolts that are only about two inches apart on their flywheel.

I am looking at the same do problem small engines ch18 or ch20 $1100, no spec number tapered shaft. repower complete kit $1900 wiring etc. anyone out there done one from these guys? Does anything need bolt up to the front shaft? My simplicity guy says old engine had a straight shaft.

ambler, You shouldn't need to put any thing on the frount shaft unless you decide to put a frount pto on it. all of the simplicitys and AC's ive seen had strate shaft engines in them. As long as you have the bolt pattern right and adapter block that bolts on the flywheel it should work.

Taper shafts are generally generator engines. The shaft isn't very long and has no keyway. I don't know what sort of front power you would need if any.

The cost on the small engine 18 is $1050 VERY attractive. What is 540 rpm power take off in manual.

Hi Dan and Ambler, Welcome! For adapting the kohler engines to your tractor you can order the coupler and drive shaft from simplicity. The wiring is different, but someone here can guide you through the changes. Take Care Neal