Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

vari-speed ? answered, now about that PTO -----

Dave-Saratoga

at the suggestion of pat, kent and others i checked out the idler pulley and discovered that the needle bearings on the pivot shaft of the idler arm were shot. there was way too much "slop" in the pulley movemnt to be effective. will replace those today then adjust the stop accordingly. now onto the next question (this is a vari-speed modification to a b-110 or changing a b-110 to a b-112 sans engine). i've attached a pto from a b-112 along with what i believe to be the correct spring tensioning rod. however, when i engage the spring assembly it does not hold and the pto swings forward on the pivot rod. for a b-112, does the spring assembly only work when there is something attached to the pto, such as a deck or a sickle bar? on the b-110, i could keep the spring engaged without anything attached to the pto.

Yes that seems to be the way it is on mine.. There's no tension to hold the Pto and then the lever won't "snap" in and stay...

sounds good - it had me worried that something was wrong. will attach the deck this evening to see how it works. btw- did you ever get the bracket?