Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Popping Briggs

JeffN

Yesterday I was mowing along with my 728 when the motor start hunt and idle up and down. Then it started popping and sounded like gunshots and then it died. I couldn't get it started so I pulled the plug and it was a little black so I cleaned it up and then tried to start it again. After some playing around I found that I could get it started on full choke but it would pop and idle up and down and never run steady and as soon as I would move the throttle down to a lower speed it would die except if I moved it all the was down. Then it would run at a super low speed until it died. My first thought is that it is the points and condenser. Just wondering if this sounds logical. It did this the first time I started the tractor for the year and then it cleared up and ran fine for the last 3 weeks. Any other suggestions or idea? Thanks.

It sounds like your air filter may need cleaning. Just a thought. Good luck John H

Jeff - Sorry I can't help with your problem ... I don't know much about engines ... except how to swap them! The 10 hp Briggs you sold me about 2 years ago runs like a charm in my 728! Tom

I'd put my quarter on crap in the fuel bowl of the carburetor. Take the high speed needle out as well as the jet, and clean both out really good. Gas will pour out of the bowl, so be ready to catch it with something. Once it is drained and the parts are cleaned, reassemble and start it up. I think this is your problem. Spence

It sounds to me like a dirty carb, Pluged fuel filter, or leaky carb gaskets. Cleaning the carb and replaceing gaskets seem in order.

I will try cleaning the air filter and the carb and see what happens. I did pull the gas line from the tank to the carb and gas was flowing. I thought it might be a fuel starvation problem yesterday because the carb seemed kind of dry. Thanks again.

Hit anything large with the mower? Could be a partially sheared crank key, causing the flywheel to shift.

• 4 weeks later...
Don't know if you fixed your problem but do what member jlasater said to do. Also the same thing happened to my friends 8HP briggs. He was doing wheelies with his. He heard a pop, and then it wouldn't start. He changed the points, and that fixed the problem.

Well I would have to say it almost sounds like a fuel problem.. It sounds like it's running lean...

You have dirt in the main jet of the carb most likely.If the ignition was bad you probably wouldn't get the pop.Poppping is 90% of the time a lean mixture.The fact that the governor is hunting probably seals the fate of the carb.