Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Uh Oh - I put some 30 weight in my Hydro

jdschool

I put about a 1/4 cup (very little) 30 weight in my Hydro, do I have to change the filter and all of the fluid, or am I ok with that little bit of oil in it? Thanks in advance for your advice

I wouldn't worry about it if it were me. I know a few guys that run 1 qt of tranny fluid the rest oil in their truck engines with every oil change. Been doing it for years and hasn't seem to hurt the engines. Can't see where so little oil in the tranny would hurt it. Any other opinions?

In my opinion, for what its worth, You dont have a problem (unless your Hydro only holds a real small amount) Our operators use the same funnel for everything and Im sure we get a small amount of motor oil mixed in the hydrolic every time they add. I also had a rookie operator put a whole gallon of 15w40 into the hydrolic system and never told me about it until after the next oil&filter change. He fessed up over a couple beers one night. We never had a problem.

When I bought my 7116, the seller mentioned that I ought to change the hydro oil. I didn't really think about it much until the next season when I checked all the fluids during tuneup time. The hydro was FULL of engine oil. I drained it out, replaced the filter, and refilled it with Dexron. Been running fine ever since (and it ran fine with the engine oil too).

For what its worth the hydro transmissions in the Wheel Horse Garden Tractors 1985 or so to 1997 all use 10W30 motor oil as called for in the owners manuals.

I starting using the combination trans-hydraulic fluid used in large tractor transmissions in my garden tractor hydros instead of ATF. I find the hydros run smoother and are much more responsive with it.

When one of my 9020 hydro's started going soft I switched to IH-Hytran fluid and finally to 30 wt oil to get just a little more life. Rebuilt the hydro now and I'm back to ATF.