Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7117 Repower Help

ambler

I have a 7117 which must have blown the KT. It was repowered with a Briggs 18. That's dying. What have people been doing on a repower. I'm not putting a Kawasaki vertical in. How do people like the Kohler Command? People have warned we boost it to 20 hp because they lie. small engines ch18 or ch20 $1100, no spec number tapered shaft. repower complete kit $1900 wiring etc. anyone out there done one from these guys? Does anything need bolt up to the front shaft? My simplicity guy says old engine had a straight shaft.

You shouldn't need to put any thing on the frount shaft unless you decide to put a frount pto on it. all of the simplicitys and AC's ive seen had strate shaft engines in them. As long as you have the bolt pattern right and adapter block that bolts on the flywheel it should work.

quote:
Originally posted by ambler
How do people like the Kohler Command? People have warned we boost it to 20 hp because they lie.
I don't know what you mean. Who lies? Anyway, I have a CH18 and it's great. The CH18 & CH20 is the same engine. The extra 2 horse power is obtained through carburetion. As stated, the only reason you would need a straight shaft is if you wanted to power an attachment from the front. Most owners don't. I do, so I need the front PTO.

Touchy. The lie is that the 20 hp is bhp not at PTO. Did you run an old KT? How does it compare with the Command? What are you running off the front? Don't all the Simplicity attachments run off the PTO? What about a snow thrower. Last year cured me around here.

The 7100 series snowblowers run off from the center (same as the mower deck) PTO. The other alternative is to put a Magnum 18 or 20 in. They are a newer direct replacment for the original KT engines. But the Magnums could be more money than the Command engines.

quote:
Originally posted by ambler
Touchy. The lie is that the 20 hp is bhp not at PTO.
Not touchy...... just didn't understand what you meant. Engines are rated at BHP because they have no idea what application the engine will be used for. PTO-HP is rated by the tractor manufacturer. My CH18 was OEM in my Sovereign. I run a Weed Cutter or an EZ Rake off the front PTO. Mike's right, snowthrowers are run from the center PTO on the 7100 series. I could power my Weed Cutter & Rake from the center, but I use them in conjunction with the belly mower, so I need both PTOs at the same time.

You've one of those new fangled tractors. I'm entertaining going with the 20 horse while I'm at it. I keep 5 acres mowed and the simplicity sure is a lot faster and handles deep grass better than the other tractors I'm using now. Just what I need is another project.

ambler Don't know what you call new fangled tractor. 7100 series tractor is what dutch and mike are talking about the same as you say you have. a Kawasaki vertical Will not work in a 7100 series tractor It uses a horizontal shaft engine with a drive shaft to a BGB.

About 3 years ago my KT17 blew a hole in the case. After spending days of trying to find a new KT engine (which I found out was no longer available I called the factory. I was lucky enough to be guided towards a tractor shop in Iowa. Well with the thought of hearing nothing was available I reluctlently called. This was one of my lucky days. They had just developed a kit using the new Kohler OCH18 engine. The kit comes with everything needed to install. Drive shaft, muffler, mounting bracket, cables...etc. It took me longer to remove the old one than it did to install the new one. Thanks to the help of some really great pictorals and instrunctions. I have been running this repower unit for over three years with no probles. It is a direct repalcement so if you have any attachments for the frount shaft it will hook right up. You can reach these great people at repowereng.com or call them at 1-800-462-2218. I hope this helps. It sure saved me.

Funky1 Repower eng. is owned by Al Eden a member here he writes some good articals on repairs that are posted in Simple tractors. He Knowes his Stuff.

i agree with dieselman, straight shaft, and flywheel adapter/mounts...or can have some fun....geo motor

I have a 7117 with a lot of hours on it, and I already have Al Eden's website in my Favorites for the day the tractor crawls over to the side of the yard and dies. Here a link: [url]http://www.repowereng.com/repowereng/repower_kits.htm[/url]

beautimus engines. My 7117 costed me just 2,100.00 to buy it Used. and i could not find the money to buy a new engine after just two years of use. I did not want to give those folks where i bought it anymore business. I have had some trouble in the repower area as well . Not very many resources for the onan engine that i bought used. It will take some time. In the mean time I have collected two more non working riding lawnmowers/tractors. One from JC penny vertical shaft. and just today i was the happy recipiant of a JD 300. The neighbors said it ran great last year. The mower deck was not put to usein the last few years. The only thing it was used for was moving a race boat in the yard. But the previous owner must have used the mower deck because it is in rough shape. Well the price was right . Nothing for both of them.