Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What is SAE 80 EP oil?

Nick

My B-110 says the the transmission takes 1 1/2 quarts and the bevel gear box takes 1 pint of SAE 80 EP. Is that the same oil as SAE 80W-90 Gear Oil? I never had to change the transmision/gear box oil in a tractor before.

Simplicity dealers sell a multi-purpose oil that is for the tranny and bgb. think it costs around 4 bucks a quart. It's much lighter than 90W oil.

SAE 80W-90 Gear Oil will work just fine and will not cost $4.00 a qt. Simplicity multi-purpose oil is Simplicitys name for it to get you to buy it from them at a higher price.

Thank You Both, Just don't want to screw up, and have a tractor that won't move under it's own power.

35 something years ago the EP was called Extra Pressure. Could never figure that one out.

EP (extreme pressure) additives such as chlorine, sulphur, lithium, and molybdenum are added to lubricants to help them resist gear wear under high load conditions. I think they were originally designed for automotive hypoid rear ends due to the "wiping" conditions between the gear teeth since the pinion gear is not on the centerline of the ring gear. My impression,