Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

still more PTO problems

Dave-Saratoga

:(! ok, what's up with the stop for the PTO handle? I've reinstalled the entire assembly, making sure it went together the same way it came apart (I took detailed pics before it was disassembled) but the stop keeps hitting the clutch rod. Basically, the entire PTO is locked in place with the stop installed. If I remove the stop, the idler pulley engages the belt fine, but after releasing the clutch, it falls down to the bottom. I can only re-engage the idler by reaching down and lifting it back up in position (which is okay when it's being installed in the garage but will really s**k when I'm out mowing the lawn). According to the diagram in the manual (also my pic and the wear marks), the stop gets installed in the inside of the idler pulley lever arm, with the "tab" facing inward (toward the tractor). I never used this PTO (bought it) so I'm not sure that this configuration is right, but think it is. The original PTO (B-110 model) doesn't have the stop so I don't have anything to compare to. What is the stop supposed to rest on when the idler is disengaged? and, is the installation I detailed up above correct? Pics of a working PTO would be great if anyone has some.

Hi Dave, Maynard, Is this picture ok for the pto description? I think I am short a stop as my idler pulley will fall down too far.

I guess that makes me open for suggestions also:)

Scott, Try straightening the clutch rod, the clutch rod should be staight from the 90 deg through the spring. All of mine have been bent just like that,I don't know why but staightening and then adjusting should make it work again. Dave I can't say that this is your problem without pics but if yours looks like that then it will need the above repair. Good luck!

My B112 does the same thing .. I have the guard off mine, In my case the tab either doesn't hit the rod or it hits else where.. I played around with it and with not much luck... So i just use it that way for now....

the pto sure is a fickle beast. i finally got it to "work" but have been playing with the adjustment forever. right now it either burns or throws the belt. I've got the stop to hit the clutch rod, but then it doesn't swing out of the way far enough to disengage the pulley. Right now, I'm trying to get the happy medium - between dropping all the way to the bottom and not disengaging the belt. meanwhile, the grass is about knee high and the wife is starting to get annoyed about my "puttering on the tractor"

Are you sure you got the belts routed right? I will take a picture of the pto on My 3212v and post it. It isnt exactly the same but it is pretty close. ddh

You could fab up some kind of adjustable stop for the engagement handle that will keep the lever from going so far forward that it allows the idler pulley to fall down... I've seen that done.

Reed, I did straighten out that rod. It works much better. This picture is before I did this. I am thinking of building some kind of stop to keep the handle from going too far forward and let the idler flop too far forward. Like Kent suggested.There is a hole right there handy to do this on mine.

Scott, I guess I was thinking your problem was the handle and idler dropping down to far on engagement. I will look at mine in the am to see what keeps the lever from going too far foward on disengagement.

Scott, Here's a pic of the stop resting against the clutch rod in the disengaged postiion. Yes I know my clutch rod is bent too.:) Hope this helps.

Dave, if your throwing the belt when disengaged, maybe your missing the belt stop that is oppisite the idler pulley. Had to make one for mine out of bolt, if the belt is lose enough to disengage it will fly off the pulley without it..MPH