Jump to content

Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

  • Sign in to follow this  

    New Paint


           "My daughter, Katrina, and I decided to restore our tractor for show and parade duty. We started by tearing it down and making note of all the important areas that we would have to know for the reassemble process. We also bought an exploded view parts manual that proved to be invaluable.  

            "The first thing we did was remove the tires from the rims. The front tires were replaced as they were in pretty rough condition.   The rear tires received a good scrubbing with Westley's Bleach White.     I bead blasted the rims as well as all of the other parts and primed everything with a metal etching primer. Everything except the transmission and engine. Drive train items were started on later. Items to be re-chromed were taken to Alpha Plating and Polishing in Canton, OH. The chrome was in poor condition with a lot of rust but everything turned out well in the end. Alpha did a great job. Next was the priming and body work. We used a urethane primer on the frame, rims and the tin. The battery side cover had a hole eaten in it and I used a mig welder to fill in the hole. There was a considerable amount of surface rust damage as well as dents that had to be filled. With that done, everything received another coat of primer and sealer, a good wet sanding, and time for the finish coat. The rims were painted with Dupont acrylic enamel with hardener. The color I chose was Allis-Chalmers cream instead of the corporate white that they were originally painted. This was a personal preference. I also pin striped the rims with persian orange to add a connection to the big tractors. I know that some people prefer to keep everything as original as possible and I see nothing wrong with that. I wanted to add some custom touches for personal reasons.  

            "The yellow parts were painted with PPG base coat and topped with several coats of clear. Lambert's Auto Body of Canton, OH was able to get the color code and supply me with the paint. It was now time to start the mechanical rebuild.




      Report Post
    Sign in to follow this  

    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments

    There are no comments to display.

    This is now closed for further comments