|Read and enjoy Martin Hruby's story of finding and restoring Alaskan tractors...|
Click each picture for a closer view
About 3 years ago I came upon a 725 Simplicity in good shape, being an ole Nebraska farm boy this started tractor fever, fired by my brother Dave. Soon I developed the habit of rubber-necking yards on trips to anywhere looking for something to hook behind this tractor I now have. Going to Fairbanks, 200 miles, for reason no longer remembered, I spotted a yellow hood in the willow bushes -- I lock 'em up, a friendly ole Alaskan came to the door, after some talking he took me to look at a B-112 -- "needs rewiring, ran 4 years ago, 2 mower decks, almost 2 snow blowers, one blade and some parts of a B-10, 200 bucks." So, I filled the back of my 75 Dodge half ton, took it home and it sat until mid winter when the snow got too deep to blade with my 725. I drug out the most complete looking blower, figured out how to mount it my 725, and what a kick! I'm hooked!
I redid the B-112 that spring, and not knowing what I
had, I stripped it to bare metal, 3 coats of primer and 9 cans JD construction
yellow -- it looks sharp. I tore the B112 all the way
down to 3 bolts I couldn't break loose. The wiring problem it was
supposed to have turned into a shot bevel gear box, after I got it
running. I don't think he drove it where it was even before the
willow bushes grew to 2 inches in diameter in front of it. I decided
while I waited for parts that I may as well paint it up, didn't plan to go
far as I did, but one piece off lead to another. Had I been into
this great site of yours then I most likely would have done a few things
different -- like not use old tint JD construction yellow --
though it don't look bad, I feel a bit guilty now.
Hey I might learn something 'bout this computer stuff, your site as sparked my interest into the 21st century. Thanks a lot, Kent.